Thursday, May 30, 2013

Digging Deep: I-DIG

This spring I spent the majority of my time on this project, a discipleship group guide for International Student Ministry, named the "I-DIG". 
In the book's introduction, one of the authors refers to Jesus' parable about a treasure hidden in a field. From this parable and the aptly named title, "I-DIG," I decided to create a gardening theme as the main visual look of the entire book. This included garden-related icons for each section of the Bible study (Open = a sun, Dig In = a shovel, Respond = a watering can, and Dig Deeper = a shovel and pick axe), and various illustrations of leaves and plants for the chapter divider pages.
This book includes twelve chapters of fully-planned Bible studies, including the passages laid out in manuscript style and space to write comments and answers. There are also "tools" (another helpful garden-related word!) which are separate from the Bible studies but relate to understanding the Bible, interacting cross-culturally, and definitions of Christian words. The "Bible at a Glance" infographic which I posted earlier is included as one of the tools as well.

There is also a section that helps students learn how to share the Gospel using a diagram and script especially designed for international students who may be more likely to come from a shame/honor-based culture. This "Broken" diagram was created by International Student Ministries staff which I redesigned to appear here in the style of the I-DIG. Each step is shown using pencil and speech bubble icons so the reader knows in which order to draw and speak out the entire presentation.

The book, totaling 138 pages, took about four weeks to design! It was a lot of work but I'm excited knowing that I am helping hundreds of international students engage in Bible study and community, as well as provide a tool for students and staff to share the Gospel in a way that is relevant to internationals. Praying that God would use this book to impact many students for his kingdom!

1 comment:

  1. This looks great!! I want a copy for myself! You did an amazing job. I especially am excited there is a spiritual warfare resource.

    ReplyDelete